Opportunities at the Museum of Health Care:
Digital Content and Marketing Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)
JOB TITLE: Digital Content and Marketing Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs Position)
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 1
SALARY: $14.25/hr, 35-hour week
START/END DATES: July 12 – Sept 2, 2021
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: July 2, 2021 at 1:00pm
LOCATION: Museum of Health Care at Kingston, Ann Baillie Building NHS, 32 George Street, Kingston, ON K7L 2V7
*(A large majority of the position may take place offsite in a work from home capacity)*
The Museum of Health Care at Kingston is Canada’s premier resource devoted to bringing to life the story of health and health care. The Museum strives to connect visitors with the experiences of people in past times and provide context and perspective on today's health issues. To help Canadians better understand this history, the Museum preserves, interprets and promotes the rich material legacy of our medical and health care past.
The Digital Content Assistant will use their demonstrated digital production, graphic design, and website management skills to produce and share high-quality digital content intended for the general public.
Projects to be undertaken include (but are not limited to):
• Editing video, audio, and image files to produce a variety of content for the Museum’s website and social media channels
• Producing promotional materials to support the Museum’s marketing and advancement efforts (including visitor brochures, event posters, newsletter materials, etc.)
• Creating multi-media content to enhance the Museum’s educational programming.
• Analyzing website and social media traffic data, modifications to digital content to improve engagement
• Writing and editing blog posts for the Museum’s Blog website
This position will require a large majority of the work to be completed offsite due to COVID19 closures, and as such, a successful candidate will:
• Have access to a personal computer that can be used during the working day (9am to 5pm)
• Reliable access to the internet, allowing for videoconferencing and access to file transferring sites (i.e Google Drive, DropBox)
• Live in the Kingston area and be able to attend onsite meetings and work shifts at the Museum of Health Care, if necessary and deemed safe as reopenings continue.
You must be a college or university student with confirmed Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) eligibility prior to your application. Candidates for this position must be: between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment; a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and, legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Skills considered and asset to the Digital Content Assistant position are:
• Ability to film and edit digital video
• Experience with video editing
• Graphic design experience (Using Canva, Photoshop, or any other digital platform)
• Using social media on behalf of an organization and ability to produce content
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, or other analytics tools
• Knowledge of search engine optimization
• Detail-oriented and precise
• Work well on their own with minimal supervision
• Good time management skills
• Excellent English language communication skills
• French proficiency is not required but will be considered an asset
Academic and/or employment experience in the following fields will be considered assets: graphic design, audio/video production, photography, computer and information sciences (especially SEO, web design, and web management experience), marketing, and communications. Additionally, experience developing digital content for a variety of age groups as well as use cases (i.e. educational- versus entertainment-based content) is also highly valued. Academic studies or interest in Canadian history will also be considered an asset.
To apply for this position, please electronically submit your cover letter, résumé and 2 references (in Microsoft Word or PDF format only) by July 2, 2021 at 1:00pm to the attention of:
Kevin Moorhouse, Museum Manager
Please indicate in your cover letter and email subject heading that you are applying for the Canada Summer Jobs Digital Content and Marketing Assistant position as we may have various positions available.
Alternative Practicum: Teacher candidates can gain museum education experience. Learn more here.
Museum Studies Internships and Field Placements: Applications are welcome throughout the year. Learn more here.
Volunteering: We are seeking volunteers for a variety of roles. Learn more about volunteering here.
Work Study Program:We recruit students each fall through Queen's University's Work Study Program. Learn more about the program here.